USA Guided Tours Content Team & Darko Marsalek, VP of Sales and Marketing
Visiting Washington DC with your family can be a fantastic experience. With numerous museums, historical landmarks, and outdoor spaces, Washington DC definitely has something for everyone to enjoy! However, planning the perfect trip can be daunting, especially when traveling with your kids. To help you make the most of your family trip to Washington DC, we’ve put a quick list of tips and recommendations for you.
Washington DC is known for its many museums, many of which are free to the public. Some of the most popular museums among families include:
Of course, DC is synonymous for its iconic memorials and monuments – so make sure to take your time to visit them in person!
There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy in Washington DC that are perfect for families and kids. Some of the best outdoor spots include:
For families looking to get active, consider renting bikes or exploring the city on foot.
Now that the weather is finally getting nicer and spring is around the corner – be sure to sign up for our popular Cherry Blossoms Tour! Or simply pack a picnic and take a break at one of the city’s beautiful aforementioned parks!
Well, this one is sort of a given – when planning a family trip to Washington DC, it is essential to choose family-friendly tours. USA Guided Tours is a great pick for families, offering several award-winning tour options that are designed to engage every family member!
One of the most important things to remember when traveling with your family is to take breaks and enjoy downtime. While it can be tempting to try to fit in as many activities as possible, it is essential to take breaks and let children have some unstructured playtime. Consider planning a few activities in the morning and taking a break in the afternoon, or vice versa.
If you’re visiting the capital for the first time – make sure to read our 14 Tips for Your First Visit to Washington DC blog!
We hope that these tips and recommendations will help you plan a fun and memorable family trip to Washington DC!
Taking a trip to Washington, DC with your family can be an incredible experience. There are countless activities for people of all ages, from exploring the museums and galleries to taking boat rides on the Potomac River. With so much to see and do in our nation’s capital, planning the perfect family getaway is easy.
USA Guided Tours wants to ensure you get the most out of your trip by providing expert guidance and advice on the attractions to visit, activities to take part in, food to enjoy, and more.
Traveling to Washington, DC provides the ideal opportunity for families to spend quality time together. Whether sightseeing at popular monuments and museums or exploring the city on foot, everyone in your family will have something to look forward to in the District. That said, budgeting is a crucial part of planning any trip, which is why we’ve gathered some tips for saving money on your travels:
● Look into deals from travel sites like Groupon and LivingSocial, as well as package deals from big hotel chains. These can provide discounts that add up quickly when you’re with a family-sized group.
● Take advantage of free attractions. Popular DC examples include the National Mall,(where visitors can pay homage to national monuments like the Lincoln Memorial and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial), Smithsonian museums (which are all free), and much more.
● Look for restaurants that offer kid-friendly meals that will give your children a chance to sample the local cuisine without breaking your wallet.
● Take public transportation instead of renting cars or taking taxis/ride shares. The Metro Subway System is clean and reliable and will get you around town quickly.
● If you’ll be doing a bit of business on your trip, remember to keep track of your travel expenses so you can write them off!
Major Travel Discounts
● If you plan to visit several monuments or museums during your stay, consider purchasing a tourist pass with regional discounts from goDCgo. Doing so will save you money when going to multiple sites.
● If your family includes youth ages 17 or younger, or persons with disabilities, look into getting a SmarTrip card from WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority). The pass will get you discounted fares on bus routes and rail lines!
● Businesses often partner with hotels or other local attractions, so inquire ahead of time about any discounts at your hotel front desk or at stores.
On one hand, having so many sights and attractions to enjoy makes it easy to plan your DC vacation. On the other hand, it can feel impossible to fit everything into a single trip! That’s why it’s vital to plan an itinerary that everyone will enjoy.
There are loads of museums, monuments, and other places to explore. For families with young kids, look to the wealth of parks with playgrounds and interactive attractions. Adults may want to check out local nightlife, such as rooftop bars or live music venues. Just remember to consider the weather during the time of year as you put together your itinerary.
Depending on the time of year, you may want to plan for warm and cool days. Layering your clothing is always a smart plan, especially for early spring or late fall trips. And if you have kids in tow, be sure to pack extra clothes in case of any unexpected spills or stains.
Washington DC offers a wide range of accommodations. From luxurious boutique hotels to budget friendly options, your family is sure to find a comfortable place to lay your heads. Here are some key points to consider when selecting your accommodation:
● Location — Depending on the area of the city you’re visiting, select accommodation within walking distance or with access to public transportation.
● Amenities — If you’re traveling with children, choose a hotel with family amenities like free breakfast, pools, and playgrounds.
● Budget — Research different websites and compare prices before booking. Take advantage of discounts or special deals offered by specific hotels.
Some of the most popular places to stay among families include Hyatt House Washington, D.C/ The Wharf, Washington Marriott at Metro Center, Washington Marriott Wardman Park, and Capitol Hill Hotel.
Museums, monuments, and zoos are a major part of what makes Washington, DC such a popular destination for family vacations. Fan favorites include the Smithsonian National Zoo, the Museum of Natural History, and the Washington Monument.
The city also offers plenty of educational activities like historical tours and interactive exhibits in many of its museums. If your family likes to stay active, you have your pick of parks and trails that allow you to explore nature. And there are lots of nearby restaurants and shops for a fun day out with the kiddos!
Take a Bus Tour
You can experience DC like never before with USA Guided Tours. Take advantage of our bus tours, and explore the city’s famous landmarks in comfort. Which stops at all the major monuments, museums, and historic sites, your tour guide will provide informative commentary as you make your way around the District.
The tours are designed to satisfy everyone from individuals to large groups, and you can choose between a full-day or half-day experience. So hop on board for a memorable journey through some of the nation’s most iconic attractions! With private tours, day tours, and other options available, you can find the perfect activity for your family!
Just a short drive from Washington, DC lies two unique cities: Alexandria, Virginia and Baltimore, Maryland. Alexandria is full of historic charm and home to some of the oldest buildings in the country. You can explore the city by walking or biking through its quaint streets, browsing local boutiques, and tasting delicious cuisine.
In Baltimore, you can discover an eclectic mix of culture, attractions like its world-famous aquarium, and unique neighborhoods around every corner. Whichever city you choose to explore, your family is sure to have a memorable experience! The best way to explore these stone-throw away destinations is on our private or public tours.
If you want an unforgettable experience, take your family to Washington, DC. With the help of USA Guided Tours, you can find the best attractions to see, activities to do, and food to eat for everyone in your tribe. Whether learning about history at one of the world-renowned museums or taking a cruise on the Potomac River, take time to plan out your trip, so that you can make every moment spent in the District as fulfilling and memorable as possible!
Ted James in Collaboration With USA Guided Tours Blogging Team
Go back in time to some of the most iconic moments from the civil rights movement with this fascinating tour, including the National Museum of African American History and Culture entry!
Get the presidential treatment with our most comprehensive Washington DC day tour, hitting all the highlights from the comfort of a luxury closed-top or open-top/glass-top bus!
Explore the capital with a guided Washington DC night tour! Fully guided DC night bus tour by USA Guided Tours. Expertly guided and award-winning!